We are still in Phase 1 here at The Gardens of Cedar Rapids. Luckily for us, IDPH (Iowa Department of Public Health) has lifted some of the restrictions in Phase 1.
Phase 1 visitation generally prohibited, except for:
- Closed-window visits via telephone with the visitor standing outside the closed facility window.
- Outdoor visits, open-window visits, and dedicated chat box visits are allowed only at facilities that are not in an outbreak status, and only for residents that are asymptomatic and not confirmed COVID-19 positive.
- Indoor compassionate care situations are restricted to end-of-life; these visits are under limited and controlled conditions, coordinated by the facility, in consideration of social distancing and universal source control.
- All visits need to be held under a supervised approach, with a limited number of visits at the facility at one time, and no more than two visitors per person. We began outdoor visits in Assisted Living and Memory Care in August and plan to start scheduling in Long-term Care in early September (please watch for an email on this).
Phase 1 Communal Dining:
- Communal dining not recommended but must be limited (for COVID-19 negative or asymptomatic residents only).
- Residents may eat in the same room with social distancing (limited number of people at tables and spaced by at least 6 feet).
- No more than 10 individuals in a dining area at one time.
Phase 1 Activities:
- Limit group activities, but some activities may be conducted in facilities not currently experiencing an outbreak (for COVID-19 negative or asymptomatic residents only) with social distancing, hand hygiene, and use of a cloth face covering or facemask. These activities may be indoor or outdoor. Activities that require or encourage residents to handle the same object are prohibited. Limit the size of the group to no more than ten.
- Engagement through technology is preferred to minimize exposure.
Phase 1 testing:
Baseline testing is recommended in Phase 1. We have completed Baseline testing. All residents have been tested with 0 positive results. All regular staff have been tested (80+ staff members). We have had 4 positive staff members to date with limited or no exposure to our residents.
Getting to Phase 2:
- We must have the ability to have both a physical location and separate staff for any COVID positive residents.
- We must have the ability to dispose of masks daily for routine activity.
- We must have the ability to discard N95 masks, gloves, gowns, and eye covering with each visit to quarantine or isolation room
- We must not be in outbreak status (3 or more positive residents according to IDPH and 1 positive case according to CMS)
- Our county COVID positivity rate must be trending down
We appreciate your support and patience as we navigate the changing rules and work toward Phase 2. Please call or email me any time with questions or comments 319-632-1350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jenna Gardner, Executive Director